With our new Montessori Material we teach cursive letter identification and writing because the fluid movement involved in writing cursive letters is easier for children to master.
These will be our goals :
- The fluid and connected letters do not require the student to lift the pencil, which makes cursive letters easier to write.
- Because the words in cursive are connected, it is easier to determine where one word ends, and the next begins. It also may make it easier for children to identify common groups of letters like “-ing” or “-ight.”
- Recognizing p, q, b, and d is much easier in cursive, and so is writing them without reversals.
- Montessori educators believe that it is easier for children to move from cursive to print than from print to cursive, as is traditionally taught.
- Cursives allows students (and people generally) to write faster.